Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Serving UP

It was nice that this school year the CWTS-Geography class under the supervision of Prof. Marino Deocariza had UP as its community to serve. It is only fitting, since this year our beloved learning institution will be turning 100!

For years UP has been delivering its end of the deal – i.e., filling up the pool of the next generation of leaders for the Philippines - and now we must give back.

The prospect of creating a film tribute, an exhibit, or a website for the UP community sounded attractive when our professor first mentioned it the first semester of this year. This semester, with the bonding between old groupmates already formed, it was fun to be actually working on them.

Because of my busy schedule (primarily because of my thesis which is an investigative report on a government transaction) I wasn’t really able to give the task assigned to my group – the publicity team – my 100% attention. It was a pity really, since based on what I’ve heard, the rest of the group had become close.

I was able to join several of the group’s meetings (especially the online ones) but after the centennial shirt booth, Jaristi and the gang weren’t able to track me.

I missed three plenary meetings and wasn’t able to attend the launching of the three class project. I wasn’t informed despite my incessant request for my groupmates to keep me updated, but I don’t blame them. I wasn’t their responsibility. For reasons I can’t understand, my membership in nicenet was revoked, thus my not receiving any announcements for the class.

I don’t know if I will pass this class, but I hope Prof. Deocariza will consider the efforts I put (which I know was not enough) despite the many interviews I had to conduct and tons of documents I had to review.

No comments: